Truffle & Mushroom Pasta by Shannon Bennett
This dish is a winter time classic, it incorporates my favourite winter flavours with a little bit lux, some fresh truffle. I recommend scouting out Western Australian Truffles, which you will be able to find at gourmet food purveyors such as Simon Johnson.
60 g spaghetti pasta
30 g wild mushroom
1 tbsp shallot, peeled and diced
1 tsp garlic puree
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp parsley, chopped
3 g truffle, shaved into 6-8 slices
1 box field flat mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch thyme
1 ½ l white wine
2 bay leaves
1 ½ litre Madeira
2 litre chicken stock
• Place the mushrooms in a large heavy based pan with the peppercorns, thyme, bay leaf white wine and Madeira.
• Cover with chicken stock.
• Cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
• Once boiled, simmer for 1 ½ hours without the lid.
• Pass in a colander pressing all the liquid out of the solid and reserving the liquid.
• Reduce by 2/3 or until intense mushroom flavour.
To cook the pasta
60 g Alligator Brand spaghetti
2 litre mushroom stock
• In the boiling mushroom stock, cook the pasta for 9 mins.
• Once cooked, take them out of the stock but do not rinse them.
• Reserve the stock
Assembling the dish
• In a hot frying pan, heat up the oil and cook the mushrooms for 2 mins. Add the shallots and the garlic and cook for a further 1 mins. Season.
• Add the cook pasta, the butter and 25 cl of the stock used to cook the pasta.
• Reduce until the stock is coating the pasta.
• Add the chopped parsley and serve with the truffle freshly shaved on the top.